Eye Care Community
secondary cataract
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

secondary cataract

Hello,

When the posterior capsule opacity is developing, can the cloudiness kind of creep across the field of vision, concentrating more on one side, or would it be an overall blurriness? What exactly does 1+ posterior capsule opacity mean, and how fast is it likely to progress?

Thank you.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
1. Yes any part can get cloudy. Just like dirt on a window can accumulate in any manner, shape or form.
2. Often cataracts or other eye conditions are graded 1 through 4 plus. Thus a very cloudy capsule would be 4+ opacification. It's rather arbitrary and subjective.
3. Like cataracts posterior capsular opacification progresses at all rates from no progression to so fast that yag laser is needed in a few weeks to months. No way to tell.
JCH MD
Related Discussions
9 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
1. Yes any part can get cloudy. Just like dirt on a window can accumulate in any manner, shape or form.
2. Often cataracts or other eye conditions are graded 1 through 4 plus. Thus a very cloudy capsule would be 4+ opacification. It's rather arbitrary and subjective.
3. Like cataracts posterior capsular opacification progresses at all rates from no progression to so fast that yag laser is needed in a few weeks to months. No way to tell.
JCH MD
Blank
Dr. Hagan,
Thank you for the explanation. The window analogy was especially helpful.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
You're welcome and good luck JCH MD
Blank
I have cloudiness, like film that moves from left corner of eye to center. Very hard to see. Both doctors say it's not secondary cataract but just floaters. Eye always feels full of liquid.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
=
Blank
I am also wondering whether I have posterior capsule opacity, less than 1 year out after cataract surgery on both eyes. I get blurry vision, but if I blink hard & repeatedly, or if I rub my eyes lightly, the blurriness goes away (temporarily).

It's almost like there's a thin layer of mucus over the surface of my eyes, which I can push out of the way. But I don't have any eye infection and there is no collection of mucus or anything in my eyes in the mornings.  

Could this be posterior capsule opacity, or is it more likely something else? Advance? Many thanks!
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
No way to tell since it has to be examined with dilated pupils with the biomicroscope (slit lamp). As a generalization the blur associated with a secondary cataract cannot be blinked away.
JCH MD
Blank
Thanks - you answered my question exactly. (In general, the blur of a secondary cataract can't be blinked away.) I'll request an examination if this keeps up.
Thank you.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
-
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources