Eye Care Community
seeing lightning streaks in centre of vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hi there,

Thank you in advance for your advice.  
I have been experiencing what I can only describe as perceived lightning streaks mostly in my right eye but also in my left eye.  They happen every day, on a frequent basis (at least once an hour, sometimes every few minutes), but only appear for a fraction of a second.  At the time that these symptoms began, I also noticed some floaters.  I was drinking a glass of orange juice, and I thought there was a black hair in it, now I also notice the floaters regularly as well.  This sarted approx. 5-6 weeks ago.  I immediately went to a local eye care proffesional who took my symptoms quite seriously, and did a complete dialation examination of both my eyes.  He said that, yes, he could see the floaters, but that there was no sign of tear or detatchment- great news!  He also explained that I was probably experiencing visual migranes (migraines) with no headache.  I was very relieved...  However, upon doing some more research, I realized that my lightning flash symptoms do not match those of a visual migrane (migraine).  As previously stated, the lightning streak type flashes happen every day, all day, with varying intervals in between- it could be 2 minutes to an hour in between flashes.  The lightning streak type flash always appears in the centre of my vision, it always looks the exact same, and is always in the same spot, even when I perceive it to be in the left eye, it appears in the exact same pattern.  I am wondering what this may possibly be?  My vision was tested and I can see better than 20/20, I have no other existing medical conditions, however, was pregnant and delivered my son six months ago.  Delivery was very difficult, and I did strain very hard, and I broke a whole bunch of blood vessels in my face- is it possible that the pressure of pushing caused the floaters???  ... and are the floaters and lightning bolt flashes connected?  If so, how long will these symptoms persist??  What should I do?

Thank you so much!

I have the same!!! Would appreciate advice too. Lightning streaks get in clusters every 2 or 3 minutes for some time every day
First of all the term "local eye care professional" can mean many things: a visit to a commercial optical like Lenscrafters or Eye Masters or a non-MD ophthalmologist or a Eye MD ophthalmologist. If you saw anyone other than an Eye MD ophthalmologist then you need to see an Eye MD ophthalmologist.   If you did see a MD ophthalmologist then i would call the Eye MD and ask for a referral to a neuro-ophthalmologist. Your symptoms don't at all sound like migraine. Neuro-ophthalmologist can be hard to find sometime and if one is not available i would see a retina eye MD to rule out retinal causes. I do think you need a macular OCT since the spot is always in the same place.  If its not an eye problem you may need to see a neurologist.   JCH MD