Eye Care Expert Forum
seeing tracers of light
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

seeing tracers of light

Hello, I am a 31 year old white male.  I have a history of a supra-orbital bone tumor of 3.5 cm which has been totally stable for 4 years since it's discovery and had never effected my vision or cranial nerves.  I was given a CT orignally because I have a constant headache in the front of my head.      Here lately, I have been noticing tracers of light, similar to what I would imagine people who used to use LSD would see sometimes (i have not taken hallucinogens ever).    Basically what I mean is if I look at a light source and then look away I see a trail behind,  or if I look TO the light I see a trail in front of the light, on the other side as the direction I'm moving my sight from.   Also,  when I was noticing this effect,  I went outside into the sunlight and everything sort of looked like my head was in a fishbowl.   I don't see these tracers from regular objects,  just light sources,  but sometimes when I turn a corner when walking, or driving my car,  things tend to move in a chopped or segmented motion.     My vision isn't blurred or dimmed or anything.

So, I gather this probably isn't from the tumor. I don't think it's growing.  I think with my last MRI 7 months ago, as best as I can tell all the segments of my brain were scanned, so this would have covered from something like MS which hadn't shown up until now, right?     My last eye exam was normal, which was about 1 1/2 years ago.   Do you suppose I'm just anxious?   Should I be thinking about making a quick (urgent) move to see an eye doc, or get another brain scan,   or should I just relax a bit for now?