Eye Care Community
semi-circle of "fluorescent light" brightness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Seeing semi-circle of "fluorescent light" brightness in lower left corner of my left eye visual field for several months. Started several times per week, now about a dozen times a day.  Occasionally occurs in right eye, but much less frequently.  Optometrist did not do dilated exam, but suggested I return if it continued.  I'm worried about retinal detatchment.
You need to see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. Since this is new and is getting worse and occuring daily those are URGENT signals. IF you live in the USA find an ophthalmologist Eye MD near you at www.aao.org or even better call your family MD today ask for an urgent referal to an ophthalmologist (SAME DAY) if possible. Also if you have not been in for a physical make an appointment. These symptoms can sometimes come from disease of the heart, brain or blood vessels besides the eye.

JCH  MD
Thank you.  I will make an appointment right away.  Today it is not as frequent, but the day I initially posted it was occurring more often.
-
Saw ophthalmologist, who did dilated exam.  He found nothing abnormal.  He advised me to return if anything changes, but assured me that everything looks fine.  Thank you for your concern and for taking the time to respond.  It is most appreciated.
You are welcome. The American Academy of Ophthalmology is pleased to provide this free service for the world.

JCH MD