Eye Care Community
severe myopia in one eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

severe myopia in one eye

My son who is currently 5 years old has just been diagnosed with severe myopia in one eye. He has been given a prescription for glassed of -14. What best to do? We are very worried that his eye will get worse and he will become completely blind in that eye.  Has anyone been in a similar situation? How was the eye treated? Did anything improve?
RinHartley in an earlier post mentioned that she treated her child wirh artiflex surgery. But when I read more about this it mentions that it is not suitable for children under 18. Does anyone know more about this?

I would truly appreciate any help.

Sylvia

Avatar n tn
My son was part of the Artisan Lens clinical trial in the US (we live in Sydney Australia) and had to get FDA Approval. This was 7 years ago and he is now just about to turn 10 years, he was 3 at the time of the surgery and he had not had any problem since and his prescription had since stayed the same at -1.75.  Since his surgery, his implant (now know as Verseye) has been FDA approved and available to all.

His surgeon is a well known surgeon Dr. Assil who's located in Beverly Hills, I strongly recommend you look in it.

From a mother myself, it is a vision saving surgery for severe nearsighted treatment.
Forums like this is a wonderful way of communicating our knowledge, insight and experiences that can ultmately save or educate others. If only I knew about this forum when I was searching for help regarding my son's condition. Am happy that we can now share our story that may help others.

Good luck!
The above advice is appropriate. It is most important to protect the "good" eye from disease and injury. Be sure that attention is given to proper eye protection and discussion of avoiding situations/sports with high potential for eye injury (firecrackers, firearms, lawn mowers, weed eaters, power tools, raquet sports).

See a good pediatric ophthalmologist about a referral.

JCH III MD