Eye Care Expert Forum
sharp eye pain

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

sharp eye pain

Today I had severe sharp eye pain on my left eye for about 30sec straight.. so severe i had to stop what i was doing and bend over... it felt like a sharp line.... and my eye hasnt felt normal since that happened this morning... Last year I had a whole in my right retina surgery was done and it healed nicely... it was the same sharp pain i felt when the doctor was lazered my right eye. however, what could this pain that i had today result from? something to do with my retina again?...even though I never had any symptoms or pain.. the optomitrist found it by mistake. Any ideas?
Tags: Eye
Believe it or not - retinal detachments are usually painless.  Your pain is more suggestive of a scratch on the cornea (perhaps a recurrent corneal erosion) or a foreign body rubbing against the cornea.  You and I can speculate all day as to the cause - but the bottom line you need to be in the ophthalmologists office ASAP to take care of things.

MJK MD
1 Comment
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, eye pain was started.