Eye Care Expert Forum
sharp eye pain

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

sharp eye pain

Posted by Julie on June 04, 1999 at 21:02:47
Greetings. I am a 33-year-old woman who has experienced a bizarre eye situation that started a few months ago. Basically, in the middle of the night I am awakened by piercing pain in my left eye. It feels like a glass shard, or foreign body, yet my opthomologist found nothing in my eye and to my knowledge I have not scratched or injured my eye. When the sensation is occuring, I cannot get near a light. It usually subsides after a few minutes or an hour or so. I am healthy, I take calcium and a multi vitamin, but no medications. I work in front of a computer. Doctors find nothing wrong. When the pain happens, my eye also waters furiously. Again, this started about 3 or 4 months ago. And it only happens at night or in the morning. It happens about once every other week, but there is no regularity to it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Posted by HFHS M.D.-JL on June 05, 1999 at 08:56:19
Julie, it is possible that your eyes are dry and they tend to dry out more at night.  You should have a tear production test.  The other possibility is that you have a condition known as anterior basement membrane dystrophy.  This is where there is some irregularity in the corneal surface and sloughing of the surface cells can occur.  This causes intense pain.  This can be treated with special lubricants at night.
This information was provided for medical educational purposes only.
HFHS M.D.-JL

A related discussion, Eye Problems was started.