Eye Care Community
silicone oil

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

silicone oil

I have gas bubble in eye for detached retina.  Retina is becoming detached again so I need silicone oil surgery!  Will I be layed up or will I be able to continue my full life?  Also information please on silicone oil.
Thank you,
There has been much info. posted here about silicone oil and its effects, so do a search for more info.

Basically the effects of silicone oil on vision vary from person to person, but most people have worse vision w/ an oil retained eye than without. Also, w/ oil tamponade positioning is not quite as crucial although your doctor may still have you positioning the first few days after surgery. Avoid sleeping on your back or lying on your back for prolonged periods of tiime as this increases the chance of oil migration to the front of the eye and could cause problems.
Depending on whether or not you have a lens, you may experience worsening of cataracts.
The oil will be kept in until the retina is stable which may mean indefinetly. Also, complete oil removal is not possible, you will be left w/ a few small bubbles of oil which do not impact normal vision as they will only be visable when you are head down, parallel to the ground.
Again do a search of the forums and also google you'll find loads of information.
Good Luck.
Ask your retina specialist your question. He or she has a lot of experience and should give you a good answer as to the instructions you will have to follow afterward and the expected length of healing.
With silicone oil in my eye will I be able to fly in a airplane?
Thank you,
Betty96
Check with your surgeon, but the answer is usually yes.