Eye Care Community
silicone oil side effect and symptom

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

silicone oil side effect and symptom

had surgery on left eye for ritnal detach 5 mos ago. silicone oil was put in eye - also IOL. I understand if the oil in eye for long time damage can happen - if so what are the side effect and sympton of possible problem? I'm told it can cause possible cloudy and blurred vision. I have to read a lot my concern Thank you.

Edpreacher
It is a balance.  If silicone oil is left in there can be damage to the retina.  However,  if removed, the retina can redetach.

Discuss this with your surgeon.

Dr. O.