Eye Care Community
skin under eye is red, swollen and hurts to touch

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

The skin under my left eye has been swollen, very bright red and sore to the touch. My eye itself is just fine, just the skin under the eye. It started about one month ago, lasted about one week, started to get a little better then came back even worse. I went to a doctor and he thought it might be a skin infection, although I got the impression that he really didn't know for sure. He prescribed an antibiotic and it seemed to help, then after 5 days of being on the medicine it went back to the same way. I called him and he prescribed some sort of a gel that goes in my eye. I have been on that for almost 2 days and it seems to be getting worse. Don't know if it is worse just because or from the new medicine. Wondering if I should go to a different doctor or stay with him.  
You should see an ophthalmologist (EyeMD.)

Dr. O.