Eye Care Expert Forum
sleeping in contacts help

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

sleeping in contacts help

the past two nights in a row i was lazy and did not take out my contacts. Then i woke up in the middle of the night and my left eye was burning and i think an eyelash had fallen into it. i took out my contact and my eye started burning even more. i took the right eye contact out too and it burned some. i tried sleeping it off... but now both eyes are red (left is more red than right) and they don't want to open all the way. I also cant look at anything bright for too long. i tried flushing them with water but it only relieves them for a minute. i dot know what to do/
Leave your contacts out and tomorrow go in to see the MD or OD that fit your contacts. Don't do this again

JCH MD
Dear kelss,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine whether you have contact lens overwear syndrome which causes swelling of the cornea or other condition.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
I actually had this problem, last sunday i woke up from sleeping at a friends house with my contacts.  They started hurting so I moved the right one out of my eye and it immediatly started hurting more.  I tried to sleep it off but it hurt too much.  It is now Thursday and I have been putting eye drops in my right eye as well as wearing glasses.  There is not much pain in my eye, but it seems to be droopy.  I was wondering if this will go away.