Eye Care Expert Forum
sleeping in contacts help
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

sleeping in contacts help

the past two nights in a row i was lazy and did not take out my contacts. Then i woke up in the middle of the night and my left eye was burning and i think an eyelash had fallen into it. i took out my contact and my eye started burning even more. i took the right eye contact out too and it burned some. i tried sleeping it off... but now both eyes are red (left is more red than right) and they don't want to open all the way. I also cant look at anything bright for too long. i tried flushing them with water but it only relieves them for a minute. i dot know what to do/
Related Discussions
233488_tn?1310696703
Leave your contacts out and tomorrow go in to see the MD or OD that fit your contacts. Don't do this again

JCH MD
3 Comments
Blank
517208_tn?1211644466
Dear kelss,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine whether you have contact lens overwear syndrome which causes swelling of the cornea or other condition.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Blank
I actually had this problem, last sunday i woke up from sleeping at a friends house with my contacts.  They started hurting so I moved the right one out of my eye and it immediatly started hurting more.  I tried to sleep it off but it hurt too much.  It is now Thursday and I have been putting eye drops in my right eye as well as wearing glasses.  There is not much pain in my eye, but it seems to be droopy.  I was wondering if this will go away.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
1731421_tn?1358826971