Eye Care Community
slk and dry eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

slk and dry eye

What do you do to alleviate the pain from dry eye and SLK? I have just today been told that I have SLK and am wondering if it is an automatic add on to dry eye and blepharitis? Frustrated !!!!
Restasis has been found to help both. See an eye MD ophthalmologist, consider a specialist in cornea and external disease. Find one at www.aao.org   Superior limbic keratoconjunctivitis is NOT a part of dry eye and blepharitis.

JCH IIIMD
Thank you for the prompt reply. Restasis is only available in the U.S. and a prescription is necessary I was told. I am in Montreal. What exactly is in this medication that is so helpful? Can a Canadian cross the border, visit a clinic, and get  such a prescription because at this point, I am ready to try just about anything.

I see the top ophthamologist at one of the hospitals in Montreal and he told me to search the net for info on SLK as the man runs he has so many patients. I have not had luck finding info on the surgery he did yesterday- cutting a piece off the upper eye ball- sorry for the lack of technical jargon !!! I am not exactly  sure of what SLK is- could you suggest a site?

Katiecoo
This is the best reference to find on SLK
http://www.emedicine.com/OPH/topic103.htm

This is a reference on restasis and SLK
http://interestingeyenews.blogspot.com/2008/02/restasis-qid-for-slk.html

The many many problems of the Canadian socialized medical system thousands of Canadians come to the US for everything from Restasis to brain surgery.

JCH III MD
I had severe SLK for about 2 years (1999-2001) before a Cornea doctor cleaned out all the scarring (hope I am saying this correctly) by lifting the upper lid inside out.  I had great relief although there were times I felt it coming back and panic would set in.

I had cataract removal in that eye 3 months ago (2008) and the post -op problems have been tremendous.  Severe dry eye again, tearing, left peripheral loss, large posterior vitreous detachment and the eye at times quivers and jumps.  Yes, my left vision is now 20-20 (most of the time) but with all the post op problems I would be elated if I could have my old eye site back.  I will not chance having the right eye done..

In your expereince, could cataract removal on an eye that has had severe SLK with scarring, lazered off from the upper inner lid, be contrainindicated.  I am trying to find out why I am having all these post op problems.  This has affected my life significantly.  Thank You.
SLK should not preclude relatively safe cataract/IOL surgery.

JCH III MD
How long have you been practicing Opthamology?  Thank You.
32 years
I have just developed SLK since I started chemo therapy.  I have pain and pressure  on my top lids.  I don't know if pressure pain is related to SLK or not.  I was given 1% steriod drops for about a month with a gradual decrease every week. After 3 weeks and no relief I saw a second opthamologist and he said the steriod drops were very strong and reduced them to a ,5% twice a day and natural tear drops every 2 hrs.  I am still in pain with my eyes and wondering if I should have stayed the course with the stonger drops.  I will have my last chemo threatment in 2 weeks and I am hoping maybe this will all end at that time.  Have you had any experience with problems in the eyes and chemo therapy.
Thank you