sluggish/non reactive pupils
Can anyone tell me what this is from? I was supposed to see the eye dr. every 3 months, but due to insurance problems, i hadnt seen him in a year.. so, i saved up the money to finally go.. I have glaucoma, i have had cataract surgery in the year 2000.. Today when i went he told me m pupils were very sluggish and almost non reactive but he also said it could be for a number of reasons but, didnt elaborate on it.. can someone please tell me????? I am also a diabetic, been insulin dependent for 15 yrs.. and i also have diabetic retinopathy starting...
Hello Bettyboop: the three things that would most likely account for sluggish (meaning slow acting) pupils are:  1. your previous cataract surgery-often the pupil has to be stretched to make it bigger and the cataract operation easier and safer to do. This often leaves them sluggish and 2. your diabetes. Diabetic pupils are often sluggish and don't react well. It may be a form of diabetic neuropathy.  3. Finally as a rule as we get older especially 70+ years old the pupils get sluggish like other parts of the body.

Keep in touch with your ophthalmologist. Anyone with diabetic retinopathy and glaucoma and previous cataract surgery needs to see their eye physician (ophthalmologist = Eye MD) 2 or 3 times/year.   If money for medications is a problem ask your EyeMD about the new selective laster trabeculopasty for glaucoma. It might reduce or eliminate the need to take drops.

JCH MD Eye Physician & Surgeon  (Ophthalmologist = Eye MD)