Eye Care Expert Forum
something inside eyelid

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

something inside eyelid
last week i thought i had something stuck under my top eyelid..when i move my eye around-opened or closed- it feels like a grain of sand or something attached to the inside if my eyelid about midway up, under the fleshy part of my eyelid..i can feel it with my finger it is very small..but i dont touch that area alot cause i dont want to get it infected..the outer lid is slightly red..and like i said just looking around normaly feels like i have somthing stuck under my eyelid...gets really agrivating by the end of the day..does anyone know what this is???   stye? chalazion? a friend of mine said he had the same thing and the doc said warm pad 4 times a day on eye plus erythromycin application 2 times a day one eye..help please
Could be a chalazion or a foreign object lodged on inside of upper lid (I've seen it many times.)  See an ophthalmologist right away and make sure doc turns upper lid inside out to look for  a foreign body.  In meantime a gentle antibiotic ointment and warm compresses could provide some relief until ophthalmologist takes care of you.

MJK MD
thanks