Eye Care Community
sore eyes in child

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

sore eyes in child

My son has had sore eyes for around 6 months now which were making him blink incessantly and he complained that they were itchy. The outside scorners of his eyes are sore, particularly the inside which is a little swollen. There is no crusting.
I took him to an optician before Christmas who said that his glands were blocked and he suggested warm compresses on the eyes for 15 mins a day, but to go to the doctor if it didn't improve after 4 weeks. So I went to the doctor after 4 weeks . There had been some relief for my son but the problem was not resolved. I asked the doctor if my son should see a specialist and he told me that an eye specialist couldn't do anything about this which I found difficult to believe. He wasn't sure what it was, he mentioned possible blepharitis and gave me antibiotic drops for my son. He has had these for 5 days and there has been a very slight improvement but not enough to enable him to attend school today. What do you think? Should I push for him to see a specialist or is it possible the antibiotics may work given more time? Many thanks.
See a specialist if it does not improve.

Dr. O.
Has the possibility of allergy come up? It was the cause of my grandson's problem.
Allergy hasn't been suggested. I only know what the optician told me. The doctor is quite dismissive to be honest, and rude when I asked if he needed to see a specialist. It's definitely something worth considering, but how do they work out that ia allergy? Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately I can't get in touch with my daughter at this time to find out what she did. I would go to the local chemist's shop and ask for advice on what to try for an eye allergy. Pharmacists can often be more helpful than an MD.