Eye Care Community
splotch and double vision after macular surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Tomorrow will be six weeks since I had macular hole surgery.  By the next day after surgery already I could "see" a large splotch in the vision of the affected eye.  Of course the gas bubble was in there so I couldn't actually see out of my eye.  I reported it at once (on the way home) but the doctor did not seem concerned.  It is still there, altho somewhat more transparent, not transparent enough to be able to read through it.  My doctor said he can't see it and had no explanation when I went back for my two week checkup.  About 2 weeks ago I developed double vision which seems to only "show up" in the evening.  I don't notice it except when watching TV or trying to read.  To read I must sometimes adjust my reading glasses so I only see through the unaffected eye.  I'm wondering if I am the only one that ever saw this splotch.  The doctor didn't seem to have any previous reports of it.
There are a large number of discussions about that type of surgery and the vision people experienced afterwards. you can access them using the search feature and archives. others have had similiar observations.

JCH MD
I had retina surgery last May and I also have a "splotch"  ...it is a blank, semi-transparent circle just to the right of center in my vision.  When I see a newscaster, for instance, on TV and stare at his nose, I can see his whole face except for his Left eye is "splotched" out.  like a vasoline smear in a circle.

I believe it is from remnants of the retina being swollen, or disorganized photoreceptor cells from the ERM retina surgery.
I never had that confirmed though since the Doctors cannot see it.  If you do an Amsler grid test, you should be able to draw a circle on it to show the Dr. where in your vision it is appearing.

Please follow up to let us know what you find out, OK ?  Good luck !  
-
thanks for the input.  I went back for my 6 week checkup and the doctor was optimistic about my sight recovery.  I went from 20/70 to 20/50 in four weeks.  The splotch is more transparent and so I'm hopeful it will eventually go away.  I have arrested the double vision by "fighting against it" rather than letting my sight "wander".  Also I have found when watching tv if I sit more upright than reclining in my recliner, it reduces the double vision.  The doctor thinks it is a weak muscle that probably has always been that way, but since I can't see well out of that eye, the healthy eye is just "taking over."  I hope your eye gets better soon too.
Congratulations on the improvement in vision to 20/50 !  I really liked your statement about fighting against the double vision instead of just letting your eyes wander...I have been trying to do that also.  If I get lax and just let my eyes wander,  I get the double-image issue where the images aren't merging comfortably.   If I focus really hard on using my good eye more, then it seems to help.
Sure hope my brain starts doing this on its own though.  

I read another post where Dr. O told someone it could take up to about 3 months for the eyes to adapt to monovision...so that made me relax a little more and not expect too much too soon.  I am now only 3 1/2 weeks post Cataract surgery (and one year post ERM peel/ Retina surgery).

From extensive reading, it appears that the retina hardly ever returns to "normal" after retina surgery, due to the disruption of the photoreceptors.  There can be image size differences between eyes, etc.  Jodie has posted a great deal on that subject.

Anyways, this is sure an "adventure", and am learning a great deal about the eye.  Best of luck to you !  Keep us posted please.
-