Eye Care Expert Forum
staph infection

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

staph infection
i saw a dr. yesterday who said i have a staph infection of my eye.. and keratitis of my cornea. please explain to me what this means?
The staph bacteria colonize eyelid and release debris and toxins onto the conjuctiva and cornea which can cause white blood cells to attack the debris and in the process also the peripheral cornea - causing pain and redness and a dangerous inflammation of cornea.  Treatment is eliminating bacteria on lids with baby shampoo scrubs, proper antibiotic drops and/or ointment and often steroid drops are needed for a while as well.  If treated well, you should have a rapid improvement.  

MJK MD
I am diabetic and I have a staff inflamation in both eyes. I am treating it with baby shampoo washes and steroid drops as you said  but what is the future?

Will the straff remain perminantly in my eye when I get better?

Is this likely to develop into glocoma and blindness in time.?

Will the staph infection always be there and likely to cause problems or will this treatment cure it?

How can someone get this?