Eye Care Community
staph marginal keratitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

staph marginal keratitis

Went to opthamoligist for itchy red eye.  diagnosed with staph marginal keratitis of the cornea.  Looked it up but still not understanding what it is and how is happened.  any thoughts??
To prevent reoccurence use the search feature and archives to read about the treatment of blepharitis.

Here's the short story: oil and debris accumulate on the edge (margin) of the eyelid. Bacteria especially staphylococcus grown in the debris. Staph produces a chemical (exotoxin) that inflames the eye especially the cornea. Your body makes antibodies against the exotoxin. The antibodies and antigens react and cause an inflammatory reaction at the edge of the cornea which produces white patches that irritate the eye.

removing the oil and debris by use of occusoft foam eyelid cleaner several times per week will often prevent reoccurence.

JCH DM
Thank you for your quick response.  As this if the first occurrence, does this mean i am now more apt to get it again?  Also, dr. said its not contagious.  I always thought staph infections were!
Yes you are more prone to get it again especially if you don't clean your lid margins. No its not contageous. This is and antibody-antigen activitity and not the same as Staph infections in hospital MRSA infections

JCH MD
I was checked by a doctor and same findings the doctor gave me Marginal Kerititis. I just have a question - this problem started happening when i was in highschool it usually last for a week and every year it happens to me atleast once or thrice. Is this related with my ulcer or my allergy in alcoholic drinks. I noticed it when i drink too much the following day it triggers the infection in my eye. thanks,
Alcohol doesn't cause marginal keratitis BUT it is possible that alcohol could be a trigger for someone that has it.

JCH MD
can staphylococcal marginal keratitis be cured or treated.my daughter is 8 and she has been in eye drops and ointment(fluoromethanol-pobradex)
Yes, it can be curred and more important kept from coming back. Use the search feature and archives and read about the treatment of "blepharitis" that is the most common cause. Usually using Ocusoft or SteriLid Foam Eyelid cleaners will prevent it. Both are over the counter. Use one not both.

JCH MD