Eye Care Expert Forum
starbursts after YAG procedure?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

starbursts after YAG procedure?

Months after cataract surgery in both eyes, I was still having problems with two oblique rays of light when looking at a single source of light at night - at different angles in each eye. My doctor guarantees his work for at least a year, so, having discovered a slight wrinkle in each lens, he did a simple (few minutes in his office) procedure which (expectedly) resulted in small bits of debris that would usually dissolve or otherwise go away.  Those "floating" bits have NOT gone away, but I can only “see” one of them in my peripheral vision.  
However, I now see many oblique rays of light when looking at a single source of light at night (both close up from my [blended monovision] close eye, and at a distance from my distance eye.  I can still see much, much better than I could before surgery [strangely some days better than others], but not quite as well as before this procedure. My doctor offered to attempt to break up those bits further with another YAG procedure, but before we do this, I want to be certain that smaller bits of debris won’t cause even more rays of light off of single sources of light.  I do have large pupils and have tried Alphagan eye drops but they did not seem to make any difference.
I’ve read posts by several patients with the same complaint I have, and the doctors all say that even though the symptom appeared immediately after the YAG procedure, the YAG had nothing to do with the resulting starbursts.
Anyone else experiencing this?  Did a second YAG make it better or worse?
Tags: wrinkle in lens, starbursts, rays of light, YAG
I've done yags on patients for the same reason and the oblique rays go away. Seeing floating debris after a yag is normal, but not the new multiple rays. I suppose re-yagging the debris might help, but I'd ask your surgeon if your IOL has been damaged in any way from the original cataract surgery or during the original yag procedure. Another point is that blended vision will naturally give you glare...this is natural and normal and it's coming from your intermediate non dominant eye. I always explain to my blended vision patients that they may require a prescription for glasses at night time. So, prescription glasses may help some of your glare issues.
I hope this is helpful,
Sincerely,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
www.tmcgaritymd.com
Dr. McGarity, thank you for answering my post; I've been posting this all over the internet, trying to find the answers.  You are my doctor (and it seems this site doesn't allow me to private message you, but maybe posting a reply will help other people), so I know this is not a result of the blended monovision; it happens close up with the close eye and at a distance even with only the one (distance) eye. Prescription glasses with anti-glare coating worn while driving at night help only a tiny bit.
On MedHelp alone I found these three people with the same experience of starbursts after YAG:

By kmcc | Nov 02, 2009 Had cataract surgery 4 years ago.  Had YAG procedure in late 2008.  Since the YAG, I've had streaks of light emanating from any source of light at night (streetlights, car headlights, etc).

Inheritor  Jan 21, 2010  To: Those who have star bursts from yag laser surgery
Any cures for star bursts after yag surgery?  Total laser show at night from other cars, street lights, house lights, and signal lights.  My eye clinic says starbursts are very rare from yag.  Mine happen after 2nd eye yag.

wigfield Jun 02, 2007 well i really hope it does get better since ive had the laser treatment the starbursting seems to be worse,if i look at a light source the startbursting is everywhere,

The doctors all say the starbursts couldn't have been cause by the YAG, but the patients (including me) are noticing increased starbursting after YAG.  I guess we are definitely a minority.

I'll call your office but I'm out here trying to research this fist.  Here is the only suggestion I found so far (and I doubt it is relevant in this case, but am curious what you think): "Would Corneal topography, also known as photokeratoscopy or videokeratography help?
a non-invasive medical imaging technique for mapping the surface curvature of the cornea, the outer structure of the eye. Since the cornea is normally responsible for some 70% of the eye's refractive power,[1] its topography is of critical importance in determining the quality of vision."
Hi , I am 45 yrs old and got cataracts early in life . Just had yag cap after 8 yr old implant. I have worse starbursts now , than I did before . Same description you are giving . Colors seem one shade lighter in the eye ads well . Car driving at nite is bad with starburst . Dr said to give it a week ,it's been 4 days with no change       Brian
I've never had this issue after yag. The only way I would know what's occuring is by examining your eyes myself. I'm sorry for your difficulty.
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
tmcgaritymd.com
Hello, sorry, just now seeing your reply. I'm very late in getting back to you. Please accept my apology. Any luck yet? Please see my comment to Brian.
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
tmcgaritymd.com
A related discussion, yag laser for starburst was started.