steroid injection
Dr. H

I had Kenalog injected into my eye three months ago.  According to the retina specialist who did the injection, the steroids should now be out of the eye, replaced by body fluids.  I continue to have strange vitreous activity in that eye, with central distortion due to the vitreous moving and hanging in that locale, and at the top of my vision field.  I also have glaucoma, and was concerned about using Kenalog, but being desparate and depending on the retina MD, I allowed the injection.  Now I really wonder.  

Is the retina specialists' idea that three months to rid the eye of steroids a legitimate estimate?

Are there any restorative treatments to rid the eye of any remaining steroids?  Is Floaters only Vitrectomy the only alternative?  

I gather that steroids take a long time to completely leave the circulatory system.  Can the steroids make there way back to the eyes?

Russell903
You most likely had the Kenalog injection for inflammation in the eye or macular edema.  Kenalog is a long acting steroids and its effects can last 3 to 4 months.  If you are a steroid responder, the pressure in your eye will increase.

As far as the steroids, they will dissolve with time.  Only a vitrectomy will remove floaters although some doctors claim it can be done with a LASER.  No retinal doctor I know agrees with this.

Dr. O.