Eye Care Expert Forum
steroidal inhaler & blurred vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

steroidal inhaler & blurred vision
In my eye exam with an opthalmologist in West LA last May 2012, all was perfect even the field vision test except I did have a slight change for my glasses.  Then 2 months after exam, my vision started to blur a bit and still is.  I started on a steriodal inhaler called Symbicort 8 months "before" the eye exam May 2012.  Have you ever heard of
glaucoma just from using a steroidal inhaler when this disease did not run in the family which is my case also?  And would it be best for me to see a "glaucoma specialist" this time?  Do you know of one near West LA?.
It has been reported, but very unusual with inhalers. Steroids can cause glaucoma and cataracts. You should see a specialist. I can't make a personal recommendation. Your ophthalmologist would be able to assist you with a second opinion.

Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.