Eye Care Community
strabismus surgery success

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

strabismus surgery success

I have had intermittent exotropia since the age of three years old. It has gotten much worse over the past few years. I have normal vision in both eyes. 20/20 in the right eye and 20/20-20/25 in the left eye, which is the one with the turn. Does surgery cure the condition if it is successful, meaning the eye will no longer have a drift (as long as it does not recur)? I have an understanding that there is always a chance of it returning post surgery. But if that does not happen, is the condition considered cured? If I have surgery, will my double vision likely go away? This condition causes me a large amount of eye strain and headaches. The turn is noticeable, and I have poor control over it.

I have had one surgery for this already, two weeks shy of three months ago. I often have double vision. The turn was gone for a few weeks after surgery, but has since come back. My doctor told me that there is no such thing as a "perfect eye", and I'm not quite sure what that means. Does this mean that there will always be a turn or double vision? I have heard of others having such success with surgery, which is why I am confused. I understand that each person is different. But I'm curious what is possible, or how success is defined with surgery. My eyes have the most trouble converging such as when I read. It is very bothersome. Can this be healed? I'm seeing my doctor in about three weeks, but am curious to hear the opinions of others.

Thank you for listening and for your help.
You have to discuss this with your surgeon.  Most likely it can be fixed.

Dr. O.
Thank you Dr. O. With my previous surgery, the inner and outer muscles on my left eye were operated on and since the surgery I am left with noticeable double vision that I worry about being left with. I am in a very uncomfortable state since my previous surgery and worry that I will always have double vision and/or a turn in my eye.

I am curious, can surgery correct my conversion problem? My left eye can hardly converge at all. Even since my last surgery. Is it likely to have normal converging eyes without double vision in certain gazes or distances? This is what I am curious of. Thank you for listening.