Eye Care Expert Forum
straight lines appear bent - right eye only

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

straight lines appear bent. Retina Specialist says Macula perfect, finds nothing wrong.  MRI ruled out MS.  All blood work perfect.  I noticed it about 6 weeks ago and it literally hasn't changed at all.  Amsler Grid shows bent line just to the right and above the black center dot.  Any ideas?
Hard to tell without more information.  If you are myopic/nearsighted with your vision slightly less than perfect with glasses on you may want to get a hard contact lens overrefract to check for  irregular astigmatism or corneal ectasia.  If everything else is normal, you may want to get a second opinion from another retina specialist as well.  But do check the cornea first.

HV
I don't wear contacts and have 20/20 vision.  I have floaters in both eyes since childhood.  I've got an appointment with a Neuro-Opthamologist (spelling?) for July (as recommended by the retina specialist for a 2nd opinion)...I appreciate your time.  I'll google the things you reference above as well.  

Thanks,
I too have this issue. It started 2 years ago. It turns out that I have a hole in my macula that can not be repaired but can heal on its' own. I went to several specialist till one found the problem, took pictures and showed me why I see wavy lines and why the center of things get whited out. Over time the hole is healing itself. I am seeing better although I still have the wavy lines. I was told to eat as healthy as I could ( AND I REALLY DO) and to take I caps a vitamin for the eye. No one knows how or why it occurs but that sometimes it will heal itself and sometimes it could get worse. I was also at the same time seeing yellow patches especially noticable against white walls and then dark patches when looking at dark flooring. That too has gotten much better and sometimes not even noticable. It does come back every now and then. I eat so many vegetables and fruit now and omega 3 rich foods, I believe this is a source of helping to improve my vision (can't hurt).

Now I am experiencing flashing in my eyes that is noticable upon waking and especially in the dark. It is always something :-) but I am 62.  Again something I am told that has no cure or reason for being.
well, the retina specialist said the macula was perfect.  i suppose it's possible that she missed something.  but she's look at it 3 times now (over the period of about a month). she can't find anything.  i now have some pain behind the eye.  a general uneasy feeling with it.  did you ever have any pain?  I had an MRI when they were looking for MS and it came back negative.  so I don't think there's a tumor or anything as the MRI would have picked that up.  I just have no clue.  I'm going to a Neuro-Oph next Wed.  Thanks for the help...