Eye Care Community
sudden partial vision loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

sudden partial vision loss

My daughter is 16 and about 2 weeks ago her vision stated getting blurry. We went to an optometrist who said she had 20/20 vision. A few days later she said she was seeing spots of light like when your eyes try to adjust to the sun. We went to the ER and they sent us immediately to an ophthalmologist who said there was nothing wrong with the eye itself however further testing showed complete loss of vision in her right half of her right eye. We were then referred to a neurologist who offered 3 MRIs, he suggested an ocular migraine however everything I've read says  they don't last this long. While waiting for insurance to approve MRI my daughter began to get dizzy and have headaches. Again we went to the ER and they did a CT scan which showed nothing. Finally she has her appointment for next week for the MRI but I am increasingly scared because the vision loss has lasted so long. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what this may be, there was no trauma that brought this on.
.
The type of visual field loss associated with migraines comes on then leaves within minutes to perhaps an hour. Almost never lasts over 1.5 to 2 hrs. If it came and stayed that is a potentially serious problem and not a migraine. She should have a visual field test to see if the peripheral vision loss can be mapped out. That often gives a clue to the cause. She needs to work with the neurologist and perhaps a neuroophthalmologist until a cause is found.

JCHMD