Eye Care Expert Forum
sudden pupil dilation difference

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

sudden pupil dilation difference
Last night, I looked in the mirror and saw that my right pupil was much larger than the left one. I have never seen this before. I have always had excellent eye sight, but suddenly my vision in the eye whose pupil is larger feels slightly blurred at times. It almost feels as though I have a light film over that eye at times even though there is nothing in it. I am experiencing allergies (sneezing) and my eyelids are kind of dry at the moment. I don't know if these are contributing factors. Today, my right pupil is at times larger than the other, but not as significantly as yesterday. Can you tell me why this is happening and if I should expect it to go away without seeing an eye doctor?
Thanks.
Dear jlap,

The pupil size disparity should be checked by an eyeMD.  If you are taking eyedrops or medicines for allergy, it might be the result of those.  The eyeMD will measure the disparity and the time.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

my pupils are also of an unequal size, in fact both appear to be quite large most of the time. Is this normal?