Eye Care Expert Forum
surgery to remove conjunctival vessels?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

surgery to remove conjunctival vessels?
First off, I'd like to say this is my first post to this forum, and I think the reason my prior post was removed was that I didn't post it in the "ask a doctor" section but rather in the general community section.  Also, I mentioned the names of specific dr doing these procedures and I realize that may violate this forum policies.  I apologize for this and flagged my own post, so please don't consider this a duplicate.

I have chronic vessels in my eyes that have been attributed to aging, dry eye, allergies, etc after seeing MULTIPLE ophthalmologists.  I have tried many treatment options including Restasis, tears, warm compresses, bepreve, pataday, steroids, but the vessels remain.  

I am ready to seriously consider surgery to address the chronic bloodshot look of my eyes.  I was hoping the experts on this forum who are well versed in pterygium/pinguecula removal, which is a similar surgical procedure, could comment on the safety or efficacy of conjunctival removal surgeries plus mitomycin C.

Specifically, if the surgeon uses some kind of graft (autograft vs amniotic membrane), is this a fairly safe procedure?  It wouldn't be any riskier than a pinguecula removal surgery done for cosmetic reasons correct?
Mitomycin is a very potent drug which is used to prevent scarring in glaucoma and other surgeries.  It can have some serious complications if not used appropriately.  An amniotic membrane graft is used to prevent recurrence of pterygium after excision, and could conceivably be used in your case.  I would see an EyeMD who is a specialist is cornea and anterior segment disease.
Thanks Dr Fazio!