surgery
Aloha, My son is 21 and was born with an optic pit which unfortunately has leaked fluid. As this happens to only 3 out of 100,000 people there are not a lot of case studies. Anyone out there know about this? Our choice was vitrectomy or laser. I'm at a loss. Also, how do you make it through the face down recovery. I want to give my son some words of encouragement, but it looks like quite an ordeal for the two weeks and then recovery. Will he be able to read with his one good eye (thankfully 20/20)? He is supposed to graduate, but now I don't know if he should take any classes...honestly, I'm freaked!

Thank you
Hopefully he only has an optic pit in one eye. Laser is much less threat to the eye than a avitrectomy. If your Eye MD says they are equal why would you not go with the laser?

None of these problems on either eye are caused by using the eye, nor is using the eyes to read, watch TV, computer going to make it worse.

You will need to get list of possible complications and informed consent from the surgeon. no one can tell you what the vision will be after the surgery nor what the vision would be if you did not have surgery or laser.

JCH III MD
Thank you for responding. My doctor seemed hesitant to do the laser because it is a very delicate operation. Can you recommend anyone who is experienced with laser so as not to (hopefully) burn any nerves that shouldn't get burned!!. I am finding out if there is traction of the vitreous. As he has macular edema (666 in the center, showing the swelling) could this cause further nerve damage if not treated for a while? Or no one knows?
thanks again,

Linda