Eye Care Community
swelling optic nerve

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

swelling optic nerve

I had swollen optic nerves in both eyes and suffering from bad headaches, i had all the scans done and then ended up having a lumber punch done were they found my fluid level was 40... i have had some pressure removed but in the mornings i seem to be getting pain/headaches when i wake up, is that normal? i had my lumper punch done 3 weeks ago... plus i went to a eye hospital a week after my lumber punch and i have been told my optic nerves are still swollen is that normal too? Thanks.
None of that is normal and swollen optics nerves are a very serious situation. You need to remain under close care of your neurologists and neuroophthalmologists. The most common name for swollen optic nerves is "papilledema".  Use the archives, search feature and a internet search engine to learn more.

JCH MD
Hi mariarap, I do hope you have checked back in on your posts! What Dr. Hagan said is very true, you need to get help ASAP.

From what you have told us, I am thinking that you have IIH/PTC.(Idopathic Intracraial Hypertention) I am not a dr but I have IIH and your symptoms plus your " opening pressure" that is, the results of the lumbar pucture suggest  you have IIH.
What has your dr said? Are you under the care of a Neurologist yet?
None, of what you are experiecing is normal!
If I can help you in any way, please pm me. I know a lot about this illness. Goood luck! Cath278.
-