Eye Care Expert Forum
swirling peripheral with tunnel vision episodes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Twice now I have had a 5 minute episode of tunnel vision accompanied by the peripheral vision swirling all around while the tunnel stays clear.
I am on Keppra medication which completely controls my epilepsy,I am 63 years old and in the peak of health,these episodes have happened randomly and I cannot link them,one was whilst I was a passenger in a car and the other was sitting watching television.There is apparently no link.
There is about 3 weeks between the 2 episodes.
Could be some sort of visual migraine, a transient ischemic attack or perhaps some type of seizure activity. I've also heard of similar episodes with anxiety attacks.  Tell your neurologist about it and ask if you can be referred to a neuro-ophthalmologist for an evaluation.

MJK MD