Eye Care Expert Forum
swollen, painful lower eyelid

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

swollen, painful lower eyelid

well a few days ago i woke up to a painful swollen top eyelid but only in the inner corner of my eye so for 2 days i just put warm compresses on it and it went away but now today the LOWER inner eylid is swollen and painful. i dont understand how the top went away and now the bottom is swollen what could possibly cause this? i do wear a lot of makeup but ive been wearing it for years now and this is the first time this ever happened to me..please help!
Dear Rebecca87,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD. IT is possible that you have infection of the eyelid. Your makeup could be contaminated and/or you may have a skin condition causing this.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California