Eye Care Community
swollen red eyelid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

swollen red eyelid

Starting two days ago my right eyelid was hurting a a little swollen. It has gotten more painful and much more swollen since then. If I flip my eyelid up it is very very red and it looked almost like a little red bump underneath - that was yesterday. Today it is so swollen I can't even flip the eyelid up. I called the eye dr and he can't fit me in today. What could it be? What should I do? I took benadryl last night thinking it may be an allergy but it didnt help at all.
Your description would fit an eyelid infection. (Stye). However with pain you should try and see an ophtahlmologist today or tomorrow. Find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD

JCH MD
Thank you, I was able to see my doctor and you were right, it's a stye. I didn't think that's what it was since I didn't see any little white head, but it is. He said it should go away in a week or so and to use hot compresses. One thing I read today said that if your eyelid is red then you may need antibiotics, which he did not prescribe. Today when I woke up my eyelid is very red and more swollen (seems worse in the morning), do you think I should get antibiotics?