Eye Care Community
swollen watery eyes in the morning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

swollen watery eyes in the morning

For the past few months my lower eyelids have been very swollen when I wake up.  For the first hour that I am up I have almost a constant stream of tears running out of the corners of both eyes. It doesn't happen every day but does happen most days. If I stay in bed with a cool mask and apply pressure to my eyes for 15 min. before I rise the swelling almost goes away completely and the mask usually ends up very wet from the fluid that comes out of my eyes. Besides the eye symptoms I have noticed that the skin on my lower lids no longer bounces back if I pinch it. It stays in place for several seconds before flattening out.  It is difficult to put any type of undereye coverup on because the lid just stretches. I am afraid I am going to damage the skin of my lower lids.  I wear glasses and I take thyroid medication and an antihistamine daily.  I have not changed any facial cleansing or makeup products. I asked my endocrinologist and he said to see an eye doctor. I see an Optometrist for my yearly eye exam. Is that who I should see for this or should I see my PCP or a dermatologist since the skin of my lids seems to also be affected?
You should see an ophthalmologist.

Dr. O.
I disagree. You should see an allergist - particularly one who is also an clinical ecologist. And I recommend reading Dr. Mandell's 5-Day Allergy Relief System.
Oh, and I am 63, wear glasses and take medication for thyroid deficiency. But, I rarely use antihistamines unless I'm desparate! Many have rebound effects over time and can make you drowsy.  Plus,who knows what they do to your organs. Same goes for cortisones.
HI- dis you ever get resolution on this? I too take meds for a slow thyroid and this started happening 2 months ago.I am 34. Any info would be great.