Eye Care Community
tadpole pupil

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

tadpole pupil

I have recently been diagnosed with this condition. My right eye's pupil will change shape whenever it wants. Part of the Iris Has a muscle spasm of some kind and the pupil changes  to sort of a teardrop shape. It returns to a normal shape after around 30 seconds. It does not hurt but it does feel sort of strange,  I have seen an optamoligist and although he doesn't know much about "Tadpole Pupil"  That is what he has told me it is. My pupils are now also two different sizes. The doctor says they will probably stay that way, but he wants to see me again in two months.
   What I would like to know is what causes this? How might I have contracted this? I am 40 years old and I wear glasses, but my eyes have always been healthy and I don't have any health issues. (no high bp,diabeties, or anything)  Thanks for any input you might have.
  • Pupil Damage (3 replies):
    I read you answer regarding Pupil Dilation after Detatch...[more]
  • Concern! (1 replies):
    My daughter is 11 yrs. Last march it was noticed her le...[more]
  • Enlarged Pupil (4 replies):
    3 weeks ago , I got hit in the eye with a plastic coat h...[more]
  • Tadpole pupil (3 replies):
    I have developed Tadpole Pupil in both eyes. It seems to...[more]
  • Adie's Pupil (3 replies):
    I was diagnosed with Adie's pupil 5 years ago (at age 17...[more]
There are several conditions that affect pupil size. I am not familiar with "tadpole pupil" and don't think its a legitimate medical term.

I suggest you see a neurol-ophthalmologist. You can go to www.aao.org and use the Find An Eye MD feature to locate one in a city near you.

One of the more common conditions is Adie's Pupil.

JCH III MD
Avatar n tn
I found this definition on line, If there is a "legitamate medical term" for it I don't know what it is......

tadpole-shaped pupil
Type: Term

Definitions:
1. an intermittent, brief distortion and dilation of a pupil that draws one part of the iris into a peak so that the pupil resembles a tadpole; a temporary, benign condition associated with migraine that may leave the patient with Horner syndrome.

Yes there are definitions on the web about tadpole pupil. I don't think a pupil shaped like this denotes a particuliar diagnosis. My advise still stands.

JCH III MD