Eye Care Community
tecnis implants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

tecnis implants

I am considering the Tecnis lens for my cataract surgery. I am interested in the long term feelings of people with this lens and also anyone that has had the surgery recently (2011) to see if there is improvement with the halo or mid-vision issues that I have been reading about. Also, any problems or concerns. Thanks!
Can I assume you are talking about the multifocal Tecnis IOL? Tecnis are high quality IOLs both monofocal and multifocal and we use them in our practice.

JCH MD
Yes, I am talking about the multifocal Tecnis IOL. I read with great interest your 2009 post on all of the other multifocal implants and was hoping that the Tecnis would pass muster.

Other than checking the state for complaints/disciplinary action, how do I determine that I have a great surgeon? I have searched the web for reviews but nothing specific to his surgical skills.

I plan on having both eyes done over a two month period. Do you feel that is wise or should I give the first eye time to completely adjust to the new lens to ascertain if it is a good fit for my lifestyle?

Thanks very much for your input on the Tecnis. I appreciate all the time you take to respond to the various questions coming your way.

Daisy
First of all the number of complaints about multifocal and accommodating IOLS on MedHelp.org eye forums has fallen dramatically over the last year. There are a number of factors: 1. Better IOLs are coming on line  2. Virtually no surgeons use the ReZoom (rhymes with "doom") multifocal IOL 3. More surgeons have greater experience  4. better instruments, formula and better technique for measuring and calculation IOL power 5. better informed patients 6. better expectations (it does not make your eyes 16 year old again, you will not have perfect night vision, you may need glasses for some things).

Personally I generally recommend waiting on the second eye if the first eye is having problems.

Looking for surgeon: you can go on www.aao.org and see if the surgeon is a Fellow in the American Academy of Ophthalmology. You can ask around among friends and neighbors who have go to the surgeon You can ask the surgeon for the names of 2-4 people who have had the surgery and call them. (note expect to get a list of the happiest patients but its still helpful)  Ask your family MD about the surgeon's reputation. Ask about their surgical volume per year using multifocal-accommodating-toric IOLs.

JCH MD
Thanks very much for all of your input. I will certainly follow your recommendations.  
good luck JHC MD
I had the tecnis multifocal installed in both eyes about two months ago and I'm having problems with intermediate distance vision.  The funny thing is that in direct sunlight it works fine but inside under artifical light everything is very blurry.  The light has to be very, very bright to be able to see clearly. I also get halos during the daytime that bother me. The doctor says there is a chance that it will get better in time so I'm waiting to find out.  He said to give it 6 months before we talk about exchanging the lenses.  I also get big halos at night but if you ignor the halos night vision is good.  I can clearly see the reflective strips on the ground and reflective signs are very clear at distance.  If my intermediate focus doesn't start working indoors I would like to have them exchanged - but time will tell
Hi Daisyloo,
I am also planing tthe cataract surgery and I am really confused, which kind of IOL I will take.
I was persuade, that Tecnis is better then Restore. So, is any improvements in your eyes?
Jozef
I have two reStor D1 lenses which were put in just over two years ago, and I am extremely pleased with my results, which include excellent near, middle, and distant vision, with very rare need for 1.25 readers in the dimmest light.  This is an unusually good outcome.

However--and this is important--with IOLs, one size does not fit all or suit all.  Patients should shop with the same caution as they would employ when buying very expensive sound equipment or even a comfortable chair--things that you'd have a hard time returning after using them.

There are important personal factors to consider, among them these:

Eye shape.  As a lifelong hyperope (far-sighted), I have what is sometimes called a 'short' eyeball front to back. Some lenses are better than others for  this.

Pupil size.  Mine are smallish, and that also matters.

I had no significant astigmatism, which is important in choosing.

Patient expectations.  Mine were low (I just wanted to see well again), and as it turns out, I almost never use reading glasses now, but my surgeon, being a cautious person, did not promise me that I'd never need them again.

Based on my experience, I'd say your doctor should measure your eyes inside and out, check your cornea's configuration and your retinal health, ask about your expectations compared to a realistic outcome, and above all, NOT try to sell you the moon and stars when it comes to IOLs.

Patients should also do a heavy amount of research on their own, because this is a serious investment of money in an essential human function.  There is a lot of info on the internet, but here (if the medhelp site will allow it) is one place to start:

http://www.seewithlasik.com/docs/crystalens-restor-lens.html
Thank you very much for positive answer. I suppose you get monofocal IOL.
The good is, that I have als very small pupils and small astigmatism.
Bt my expectation are big, thats why I am considering also multifocals.
I am only 52, wearing glasses from my 12, now having -5,75 DP, glasses multifocal.
For me is importatant to see good on long distance, computer/laptop distance and I can live with glasses for reading (I read a lot).
My doctor recomend me monofocal IOL, but I am still not persuaded....That why I am asking, if monofocals will fullfil my expectations. And last but not least, which brand is better?
thanks for any advice...
My reStors are multifocal.

Which brand is the best for you?  That's the point of reading a lot before choosing, because only you, with your knowledge of your prescription and your expectations, can make the final decision.

You can start with the link I provided, but you can also search extensively at the medhelp site.  Many, many patients have posted their impressions, and it will take you a looooong time to work through their messages.  However, doing that will make you much more informed.
Are you in the US  or another country? There are newer lenses that have been approved in Europe and elsewhere that aren't available in the US (our FDA is slow) that are reported to give   better results than the Restor, Tecnis or Crystalens we have in the US. e.g. the accommodating Synchrony or Tetraflex, or for multifocals the PhysIOL FineVision trifocal, Zeiss AT Lisa trifocal, Lentis Mplus, the Calhoun light adjustable lens (which some offer with a  multifocal add or "binovision", though there isn't much research on the results yet).  If you are outside the US and your doctor doesn't offer better choices you might consider trying  other doctors. Some doctors pick lenses and stick with them and don't bother trying newer ones. I'm in the US but considering going elsewhere to get a better lens (I'm still in my forties and may use it for a few decades, though it may not be worth the effort).
It's been about 9 months now since my last eye was done with the Tecnis multifocal and I'm about to change my name from hopefull to dissapointed_with_Tecnis.   My intermediate vision is still the same - I can not read anything at arms length (which is about the distance from a computer screen) and the halos at night are terrible.  I plan on continuing to post updates but at this point I feel like I wish I had gone with a monofocal lens. Halos at night are very large.  Red signal lights not only have a halo but also have concentric rings around the halo. Even during the day halos are very distracting (especally around things like white cars) and give the impression of things being out of focus.  I go in for another follow up appointment next month.
I have similar feelings to you about the Tecnis lens.  I don't like the halos. and I thought the computer vision would be better.  It's 10 months from my surgery and I have only one lens in my left eye.  I have a bad cataract in my right eye and have waited this long to see if thing would get better.  I can read with one eye.  My intial thought is to get a monofocal in the right eye.  I'm not sure how well this will work.  I have had mixed opinions about it from doctors with most favoring the ides.  I have flashes in the left eye for 6 months so an explant is too dangerous and I still want to keep the near vision.  I wish I had mini monovision in the first place , but this option was never made available to me.  I have surgery scheduled for March on my right eyewith a monofocal lens but don't feel confident.
It has now been almost two years since I had the Tecnis lenses installed in both eyes. For anyone who is detail oriented and clear vision is the priority from my experience I would say do not use this lens. Whenever you choose a  multifocal lens you are taking a chance of it not working as well as a mono focal. The advantage of this lens with me is that I am able to read very fine print without glasses, but I pay the price with large halos and no focus indoors from about two to six feet out. In fact, nothing indoors is clear unless it is under a very bright light. If its two to six feet out nothing is in focus no matter how bright a light it is under. Anything in sunlight outside that is bright like a person with a white shirt has a halo around the shirt. When watching a movie anything bright with a dark background has a halo.  If I were to do this again I would go with the mono focal and gladly wear glasses for reading.
Jojosr,

If computer/laptop is a priority, then make sure your multifocal IOL has intermediate vision as a strength.

I have a distance/intermediate lens in my dominant eye (Lentis Comfort +1.5D) and a distance/near lens in my left eye (Lentis MPlus +3.0D). This has allowed me to be glasses free at all distances but it is the Comfort that best suits intermediate computer work, which I do a fair bit of.
I've similar problems with the tecnis M+.
Walk into a building and everything gets blurred. I cant see things on shelves indoors unless i am very close to them.
I have better results when I block off the portion of the eye with the extra magnification 20/25 blocked off - deteriorating to 20/40 with the full eye.

Its been a year now and only minimal improvements over that time. I am very glad that I didnt get the second eye done with this lens.

I would really love to hear from someone who has had the M+ explanted and replaced with the finevision.