Eye Care Community
thin retina

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

thin retina

I have been told I have a thin retina.  Is there anything I can do to improve this, i.e. vitamins, supplements, or is this just a genetic predisposition?
Nothing you can do. Have it checked annually by a Eye MD ophthalmologist.

Generally that means its only thin in a few "patches" that are called lattice. It occurs in 7-9% of the population. I have lattice.

JCH MD
How can thin retina be taken care of?so that there is no further deterioration?i.e how can we prevent it?
How much chance does a thin retina can develop to tears ? Is there any general rule of thumb ? I know that  laser may help to fix it. How effective is this way and what is the side effect ?

Sir,
pls reply to above query as my daughter age 18 also has very very thin retina and we  are not sure to do laser or not? She is assymptomatic , high myopic ( L- -4.25 , R - -2.5).
Your advise will help us to decide what to do next or wait till she reports flashes.
Regards
Jeetinder
First of all the retina is very thin in every person we're talking about something thinner than a piece of paper. Second most thinner than normal spots in the retina are not dangerous and many are even normal. Only the Eye MD that looks in the eye can quantitate what he/she is calling unusual. Thus all of you will need to get this information from your Eye MD ophthalmologist. If you are not seeing an Eye Md and seeing a non physician optometrist I would suggest you see an Eye MD

JCH MD