Eye Care Community
toric lens implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

toric lens implant

I am a candidate for the toric lens to correct astigmatism.  I am concerned about the safety and effectiveness of this lens.  In particular, what is the success rate of placing it so that it truly corrects the stigmatism and does it move over time.  How long has the lens been used and what have been the results over time with the patients who have had it implanted.  Have there been reports of having to do the surgery again because "it didnt take".
Hello katyG   One thing we try never to do on this Eye care forum is answer questions that can and should only be answered by the surgeon. You will need to ask these questions of the surgeon.

If you want you can do your own internet search research. You should get the brand of toric implant that the surgeon may want to use.  With the proper name you can find scientific articles, read about it on the manufacturer's website etc.

In eye surgery we don't have the problems of other types of implants in the body. So we really don't worry about "implants taking". They are all made out of inert material that is well tolerated in the eye. When they are removed its usually because of problems with implant power or position. In very rare cases infection, bleeding, irritation can cause a IOL to be removed.

JCH III MD  Eye PHysician
I just had Technis toric lens implanted in both eyes in May-June to correct astigmatism and cararact and nearsightedness..Incredible results!! Not a difficult surgery. Only annoyance is the drops, as I had dry eye, so Restasis and ReFresh drops 2 and 3 x a day and Omega pills orally.
Folks mentioned halos post surgery--yes, there are halos. Compared to seeing 4 superimposed moons, huge glowing halos, and black globs gyrating when I looked at the dark sky before surgery, small halos are a blessing! I even see the implants' edges flashing occasionally, so what? I AM THRILLED!
Clear near and far. I get to see BLUE again. I saw white before as yellow, and blue as sort of dull and blackish. Yeck! My favorite color is blue again--delighted. I actually think I was somewhat depressed, as my mood has brightened considerably now that I am seeing color, light, details and contrast.
I have noticed floaters, which I may have not been able to see before surgery, as I was apparently seeing comparatively little. They float like a darkish clear cloud and make the print fuzzy.  I look away and back and peek thru when it is on the side--not a problem.
The reports on this site of all the things that can go wrong was scary and helpful, as I feel I got the right lens and doctor. My guess is that the vast majority of these opreations go well, and the exceptions are the ones requiring repair or a lot of medical attention. Exceptions prove the rule...
-
I wasn't aware that there was a Tecnis toric IOL, especially one which corrects vision near and far.  BH110, are you referring to the Tecnis multifocal IOL?  In any event, congratulations on your excellent outcome.