tortuous retinal veins
I have had well controlled hypertension for 30 years.  I went to the optometrist today and she told me (and showed me) the tortuous veins in my retina.  She said this increased my changes of partial vision loss (if one of the veins would burst).  When I asked what I could do to decrease my chance of that happening, she said there wasn't anything except keep my blood pressure under good control and seek immediate care if I notice any visual changes.

Is that true?  Is there nothing I can do?

Also are there any stats on how many people with this issue end up with vision loss?
First of all an optometrist is not a physician, does not go to medical school, doesn't do surgery, is not on hospital staffs and has less than half the training of an Eye MD ophthalmologist physician. So I would disregard what you were told and see a read physician. Find an Eye MD near you at www.aao.org

Tortuous retinal veins can be due to hypertension, diabetes, smoking, high cholesterol, problems with the heart, blood, blood vessels OR can be normal in some people.

One of my neighbors has tortuous veins noted by me 20 years ago. Full work up showed no problems they've never changed and she's in excellent health.

JCH MD
make that a "real physician"

JCH MD
Dr. Hagan,

Thanks for your comments...much appreciated!

Will any respected opthalmologist do or should I try to find a retinal specialist?
Any good comprehensive ophthalmologist should be able to give you a valid opinion and diagnosis.

JCH MD
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us