Eye Care Community
trabeculectomy post op

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

trabeculectomy post op

Doctors

I had a filtration surgery on June 13, 2008.  Post op pressures are between 10 an d14 in that eye.

Surgeon said it would take up to 12 weeks to recover vision in that eye.  Upon first removal of bandage one day after surgery, acuity was 20/40.  Since then, acuity has dropped in these three plus weeks to 20/60=20/70, and, the clarity of vision is poor due to lots more moving blotches in the eye.  Surgeon thinks the change in acuity is typical and I should be patient; also he said the blotchiness and increase in floaters is not unusual.  I am not a patient patient.  

I've always read and been told that loss of vision is permanent, and no return can be expected.  But the surgeon assures me that the vision will return to 'baseline' which in this case is 20/30-20/40.

the constant movement of new blotches is as anxiety provoking as is the loss in acuity.  Is trabeculectomy a high success yield operation?

russell903
Any glaucoma operation is relatively high risk. Of the different types of glaucoma operations trabs are the most successful.

Why don't you get a second opinion to put your mind at ease. It will need to be with a glaucoma specialist. Your surgeon would probably be happy to suggest a suitable consultant.

JCH MD