Eye Care Expert Forum
transition glasses

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

transition glasses

transition glasses

All i heard about is that they are all great and stuff like it protect our eyes from uv lights.  Is there something that is bad about it?  my physician said transition glasses is actually regular glasses plus some chemical coding?  are those chemical potential bad?  Can they cause eye cancer or something even worse or something bad.  Why is it so expensive?  i mean its just adding some chemical why add about 40 dollar more?

can you tell me the pros and con?

after 3 month of using my transition glasses and then one day i used a regular smooth not rough i mean like really soft cloth to clean my glasses.  and the transition colors just disappear i mean all of it.  Is that supose to happen?
The transition lenses become darker in bright light outdoors so you get the sunglasses effect outdoors in bright light and back to clear lenses inside in regular light.  The lenses will not harm you - so don't worry about that.  I think it is totally understandable why they cost more - and it is a lot more complicated that just some added chemicals.  You are way oversimplying it.  It is a complex patented  process and yes you need to take good care of the lens especially if there is an antireflective coating.  It is often the anti-reflective coating that gets messed up easily if you clean lenses improperly.

One last thought - these lenses usually wont darken much inside your car because the windshield filters out most of the uv light.  I, myself am not a big fan of transition lenses but many people like them - but still have some of your complaints.

MJK MD
One other note I believe you can have almost the same uv protection with regular glasses.  The transition lens just darkens to block out more visible light.

MJK MD