Eye Care Expert Forum
traumatic mydriasis

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

traumatic mydriasis
My 11 year old son suffered a hyphema and traumatic mydriasis two summers ago when he was struck in the eye with a stick and is now being fitted for contact lenses.  His uninjured eye has very poor vision 20/400, while his injured eye has 20/80.  The problem is while corrective lenses are restoring vision to the uninjured eye, no contact lens seems to be able to correct his injured eye.  Is this "non-correctibility" a result of his traumatic mydriasis?  Could it be related?

Christine
A larger pupil might reduce vision in certain lighting situations and possibly slightly reduce reading vision.  If glasses don't improve the vision to near normal then there may well be some damage to optic nerve, lens or retina.  If glasses work but not contacts, then he may be difficult to fit, possibly due to astigmatism.  I would be hesitant to put the blame on mydriasis unless the pupil is really huge and no other problems found.

MJK MD