Eye Care Expert Forum
triple vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

triple vision
Sir,

I am from India (Andhra Pradesh, Vijayawada).  I have triple vision.  This problem comes only when I read for one hour / some time or watching on cellphone screen.  If I give some rest to the eyes, it will become normal.  I have this problem since 2008.  I have checked my eyes at LV Prasad Eye Hospital, Hyderabad.  But they said that nothing has been found wrong in my eyes and no medicines.  But still I have the problme.  
You don't give your age or whether you wear glasses or whether you truly see three distinct copies of the same object, or rather ghosting.  However I suspect that you are noticing the changes that can occur to the cornea with prolonged reading, especially tiny print like a cell phone.  You are not blinking as much so the cornea is drying out.  Also, looking downward for a long time changes the shape of the cornea.  In addition, just forcing yourself to maintain up close focus can cause the lens inside the eye to go into spasm.  Separately or together these things may be causing your symptoms.  The first thing you should do is stop texting, surfing the web or playing games on your cell phone.
Sir,
I am very very thankful to your reply.  I am 32 years old and not wearing any glasses.  The images are verticcal, one bottom and the other top of the Original.  Those are like shadings (ghosts).  Black background, and white text I can quickly trace the double / triple vision / the other two shades. LCD clocks are very easy to "trace" the vision as well.  Kindly suggest.  Still I have the problem.