Eye Care Expert Forum
under eye irritation

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

under eye irritation
4 days ago i woke up with a red irritation under my left eye, and slightly under my right eye. the rash like irritation starts at the tear ducts and continues on out from the nose (not directly under the eye but a few mm below). The rash has not healed and it is now rough to the touch and looks dry and flaky. It looks more like a sunburn than dermatitis. I do not have a history of eczema or any other skin condition, this is the first time i have had any type of irritation like this.
what could it be? should i try a topical steroid?
thanks!
There are a number of causes one is staphlococcal hypersensitivity skin reaction due to blepharitis. I would not start a steroid as it can make some things worse such as herpes simplex of the eye. Best you get in to see a Eye MD ophthalmologist for an exam with proper equipment.

JCH III MD
A related discussion, look like hives was started.