upon wakening I have trouble opening my eyes
During the night when I awake from sleep - I have trouble opening my eyes - it is as though I have no control or strength in my lids - and my eyes feel as though they are rolling around when I strain to open the lids.  It takes a few minutes (or perhaps seconds that seem like minutes) of rubbing and straining to get them to open.  Also my eyes have been dry and itchy sometimes burning....  This has been going on for a couple of months now and I'm not sure what to do about it, or which type Doctor to see........
See a Eye MD ophthalmologist physician. Find one in the USA at www.aao.org

JCH MD
I have the exact same problem.  Opthalmologist was all but useless - suggested wetting drops - duh - I'd tried lots already.  I keep an open bottle of wetting drops by my bed so that when I wake up and can't open my lids, I put a couple drops in the inside corners of each eye and wait while it slowly goes in and this helps me open them.  I also find rolling my eyes around when the lids won't open seems to help get them to open.  This is very scarey and I wish the doctor was more help.  I'm now researching home remedies because the doctors seem to not take this too seriously.  Also when I'm reaading, watching TV or doing computer work at night my eyes won't stay open - very frustrating and weird.  Good luck!
1. The problem could be weakness of the eyelid muscles, something that only an Eye MD real exam could show.
2. The problem could be corena disease same comment
3. The problem could be drying of the eyes while asleep in that case a trial of Refresh-PM ointment or Genteal Gel at bedtime could be tried. Both are over the counter.

JCH MD