Eye Care Expert Forum
vertical double vision in one eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

vertical double vision in one eye

Hello
more than a month ago I received oral sex from a woman
after a week I developed non specific urethritis, and a week after I developed pink eye on my right eye, which migrated to the left in 2 days (although not as severe as on the right). I went to see ophthalmologist and he prescribed an antibiotic drops. Within 3 days my right eyelids became extremely red a swollen, and my left eye got worse too. I was getting clear discharge and slight crusting. It was very severe. I went to ophthalmologist, and he told me that it could be adenovirus, however no tests has been performed. He prescribed me Pred-forte corticosteroid 4 times a day.
It has been 3 week since then, and I noticed that my vision decreased, and right eye developed vertical double vision. There is no corneal damage, and no sub epithelial infiltrates, however symblepharon was formed on my right eye and a band of tissue that is adhering to the bottom of the eye. My vision is blurry now, and sometimes when I look far to the lighted objects I do see double or triple vertically.
Is this caused by a corticosteroid, or did I develop some other problem? and if I did, is it permanent? Also, could that be primary HIV infection? I am very worried, and do not really know what to do. It has been 3 weeks and 2 days since i developed redness in my eye. Thank you.
I am hoping that you informed the ophthalmologists about the oral sex, since that is potentially relevant to your condition.  It is very possible that you did have a severe viral conjunctivitis with pseudomembrane or membrane formation on the lid conjunctiva.  Pred Forte is a potent ocular steroid, and would be the appropriate treatment if these membranes were seen.  Sometimes the membranes can cause conjunctival scarring; the symblepharon could certainly cause vertical double vision, which will resolve whenever you close either eye, indicating that the double vision is caused by an eye muscle problem.  Chlamydial conjunctivitis is another possibility, and the treatment is oral doxycycline.  I do not know what is causing the blurry vision without examining you.  I would see your ophthalmologist again to be sure there is no corneal involvement, and you may need to see an oculoplastic specialist in the future to release the symblepharon surgically if the double vision persists.
I wanted to add that swelling is went down now, I do not have crusting anymore, and initial swab of the eye for STD was negative, however I do have blurry vision, and it get worse closer to the end of the day.
Correction: symblepharon was formed on my bottom right eyelid and a band of tissue that is adhering to the eye
Thank you for your response, Doreen.
Symblepharon was formed on the right eye, and when I close my left eye, that is when double vision appears on objects that are further away. The closer the object - the less double vision effect I get. Also, when I squint my right eye really hard, double vision in this eye disappears. I went to ophthalmologists, but all of them say that my cornea is clear and I do not have have subepithelial infiltrates. It has been 3 weeks and 3 days since my initial infection, and vision in both of my eyes decreased. I am really scared that this could be permanent condition...