Eye Care Community
visual impairment products for food labels
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

visual impairment products for food labels

Does anyone have any recommendations or news on products designed to help read food labels in supermarkets? I personally find the lettering often used on labels accompanied with the floursecent lighting often very glaring and difficult to read.

I've read a bit about pocket/wallet magnifiers online but haven't gone as far as a purchase yet.

I feel it should be the supermarket's responsibility to provide VIPs for those customers with poor eyesight - is anyone aware of any legislation that requires customer services departments to hold onto something like this? I know they ARE required by law to carry a lot of far more peculiar things!

Sorry to complain but I'm looking for a long-time problem that I'm sure doesn't only affect me!

Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
_
Blank
I have the cashiers read the labels for me. Or you can go to customer service. I have seen customers use special aids. What do you mean by VIP?
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
-
Blank
VIPs = Visual Impairment Products...

What vision aids have you seen other customers using and in what shops? I'll have to ask at customer services to see what they have; I wonder if they're required to cater for this kind of problem?
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
-
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Our office believes in low vision services and products. There is an excellent catalog of low vision products called "Independent Living Aids, Inc"  you can get a catalog at 1 800 537 2118  or visit their web site at www. independentliving. com  

Most metropolitan areas have someone and MD or OD that does low visual aids analysis.

JCH II MD
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank