visual phenomena after retinal detachment surgery
In January I had a vitrectomy (10 weeks of gas) and buckle placed in my right eye to treat a retinal detachment.  Retina is still attached at 4.5 months but I have some strange visual phenomena that corresponds to the area where work was done.  Notably something that looks like a finger print (at 2 oclock) and is dark in bright sunlight or when I first wake up in the morning.  My peripheral vision also has something that resembles this.  Initially my surgeon attributed this to the gas bubble but since that has dissipated he mentioned that this is likely due to the retina settling down.  With my eye closed this area is brighter and appears to shimmer.  I have been seen by other retinal specialists and they say the retina looks good.

Anyone have this?  Did it go away or get smaller over time?  Thanks for any clues or experiences you can provide.  
Since everything looks good with no recurrent detachment, hemorrhage, or fluid, it is possible that the area you are noticing is related to the buckle and/or cryo (freezing) or laser therapy used to surround the retinal tear.  Call your retina specialist immediately if you notice sudden flashes of light, increased floaters, or a dark curtain in your peripheral (side) vision.
Thank you Dr.  Fazio for responding.  Do these laser burns disappear?  
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.