Eye Care Expert Forum
vitrectomy and gas bubble

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

vitrectomy and gas bubble

I had a vitrectomy  with insertion of a large gas bubble one month ago. I had had a viteous hemmorrage and a detached retina. Last week my gas bubble was still present at 75%. Today when I close the eye with the bubble in it I feel that I "see" the top of the bubble as a line with an arc (vague) in my other, good eye. What is happening?
Thank you
Mickey 800
You are experiencing symptoms typical of someone with a gas bubble in eye, recovering from vitrectomy and retinal detachment surgery.  Please call your surgeon's office for more specific questions.  Now if you are seeing abnormally in your other good eye then you need to immediately call your ophthalmologist to be evaluated right away.  

MJK MD
Hello:  I had a vitreous hemorrhage in May and got my dye test and avastin 3 injections; the last injection sealed everything but i have this annoying air bubble.  Is avastin silicone oil and will it dissolve?  I did call my surgeon back it is 3 months going on 4 now and explained to them that it was breaking up finally and the details; they said to give it 2 more weeks.  I am seeing a lot of good drastic changes; thanks for your help.  I just wanted to know will avastin dissolve?  This air bubble is frustrating to look at all the time; but it is getting better; does that mean it is going away?  Why does it take so long for the 3rd and final injection; he gave me more 1 mL i asked him.  He also gave me zylet drops and that seemed to help speed it up; also how long do you think it will take for it to completely dissolve.  It seems to be better today all of a sudden looks a lot clearer; thanks MJK, MD
I had a gas bubble put in 32 days agp. It broke up into two about an hour ago. Just now, it merged back into one again. I read somewhere that breaking up is quite common as the bubble shrinks. Have faith and patience, it is disappearing soon.
A related discussion, Gas Bubble Following Vitrectomy was started.