Eye Care Community
vitrectomy surgery with membrane peeling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Dr.  I went to the eye docotor for cataract operations in both eyes.  After a look , he told me I had pressure in my left eye.  My left eye vision was very good--better than my right eye.   With my consent he immediatly applied laser treatment a  few times.  One of the laser shots made me cringe backwards from the pain I felt.  The catract operation on my right eye, the weaker eye, was successful, and my vision improved.  However the vision in my left eye became weaker with foglike obstraction.  The catarct operation on my left eye was also successful, according to the doctor, BUT he told me I needed another operation on in my left eye.  He referred me to another doctor who told me that my left eye showed "mild epiretinal membrane with cystoid macular edema,  There was no peripheral retinal tears, and  the problem needed surgery---para plana vitrectomy surgery with membrane peeling.'"  I am now seeking another opinion from  other eye specialists, and of course I will submit to the operation if thats the way to go..
Since my left eyesight was much better before the laser treatment and the cataract operation ( it is now 20/70), is it possible that my left eyesight deteriorated because of the laser treatment and/or the catarct operation?  I would very much appreciate your response.
It is very unlikely that the laser treatment, which undoubtedly was a yag laser capsulotomy, made your eye worse. There are two possibilities: 1. the cystoid edema and macular membrane were there prior to surgery and could not be seen because of the cataract but could be seen after the cataract was removed. 2. The operation caused CME which lead to the ERM.  

Know that CME is a common problem of both uncomplicated and complicated cataract surgery. It's listed on most surgical consents. It often resolves  with medication and time but in some cases like yours it doesn't and needs stripped. How much your vision will improve after the stripping cannot be predicted.

JCH MD
Thank you very much for your prompt response.  I am sorry for the delay in thanking you.  Your response was very helpful, and I will be guided by it.. I haven't seen any eye specialist yet.  I am somewhat hesitant about the operation.  I would like to wait a couple of months, just in case my eyesight improves, otherwise I will submit to the operatio.  Thanks again Doctor.  
You are welcome and good luck.
JCH MD