Eye Care Community
warped vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

warped vision

I am 48 years old. About a year and a half  ago i complained to my doctor of eye floaters and loss of vision in my right eye.  He sent me to a specialist who said I had a cataracts in both eyes different types and that the one in my right eye was worse and needed surgery he  then sent me to a retinal specialist for the floaters who said they didn't seem bad just proteins or something.  I had  the cataract surgery in my right eye. After the surgery my distance vision was much improved and so was my golf game but I was now unable to read without reading glasses because it seemed that my vision was different in my right eye things were shorter and fatter than in my other eye.  A year later  I woke up feeling like something was in my eye and I could see a large floater at the top of my vision that swung back and forth like a windshield wiper.  I went and saw my Cataract surgeon and my retinal specialist and both said that they could see nothing wrong or different. A week later while on vacation I saw black swirls and numerous floaters like grains of sand in my eye and went to the retinal specialist who said my retina had torn at the top he immediately performed cryo on my eye and injected a gas bubble I looked a mess after the cryo surgery face swollen and limited or no vision in eye for a couple of weeks after two laser sessions and 6 weeks I was told the tear was repaired although the huge floater was still there plus additional floaters but I was now informed that their was fluid building up under the retinal wall at the bottom of my eye.  Meanwhile every time I see my retinal surgeon I still complain that I am constantly aware of something in or on my eye which is always dismissed with a look like Im crazy.  Anyway now He tells me that I need a vitrectomy which he does the next day and again injects a larger gas bubble.  My face was not at all swollen after the surgery which made me happy but I coulld not see at all for two weeks and barely since it is now 7 weeks since the vitrectomy and now what I see out of my right eye is like looking at a fun house mirror or through a swimming pool everything is distorted I still have a small gas bubble but most of the floaters are gone just a few small black ones.  I still feel like their is something in that eye or  something wrong with it I am constantly aware of it but my surgeon says thats impossible I guess Im just crazy he thinks this distorted vision might improve or its scar tissue and wants to see me in 6 weeks.  I am getting really angry I dont know what is going on. Can anybody help  me or explain I wish I had never complained about my vision in the first place.
What you have described is not unusual for a retinal detachment, especially if the macula was pulled off. The incidence of RD after cataract surgery is about one in 1000 to 2500.

My suggestion is to see a second retina surgeon for another opinion. Also be sure there are no exposed sutures accounting for the foreign body feeling in your operated eye.

Know that you are at major risk for the same thing happening in the other eye so if you have showers of floaters, flashes or loss of field of vision see a retina Eye MD immediately.

JCH MD