what does 'toric' and 'plano' mean
i am told i have astigmatism......my understanding is that toric lenses are used to correct astigmatism.....in my simple understanding, astigmatism is when thel light rays entering the eye do not meet or converge at the right place  (causing double vision?).....and that this type lens redirects the  light rays entering the eye where they should converge ......if this is somewhat correct.....my question is how does the lens  handle all the various angles of entry ....does distance of object also affect  this process?.....i am curious because i do not think the astigmatism will be corrected by my cataract surgery for both eyes.....so far my right operated eye is doing well and am scheduling the left  for cataract surgery soon...... will i have to wear glasses for astigmatism post-op permanently?

also, what does plano mean......20/20?

thank you
Plano does not mean 20/20 it means a lens, or contact or IOL has no bending power (window glass).

A sperical glass, contact or IOL bends all entering light the same because its spherical.

A toric or astigmatic glass or IOL or conact bends light differently depending on the direction (axis) the light enters.

JCH MD
thank you for responding.......should i assume then that  the astigmatism will not be corrected by the iol lens installed and that i will be using glasses/contacts (which is ok) all the time to correct the astigmatism....it has been 22 days since the surgery?

i also think that my seeing slight double visions on the operated eye is from the astigmatism (seems to go away if i squint a little)....am i correct?

also , it seems that toric lens is a try the  best fit  process....right?

thanks again doctor.
Surgeons can reduce some astigmatism by placement of the incision and use of steroid drops. A spherical IOL will not correct astigmatism. A toric IOL will. The toric IOL is a "premium" IOL and you pay extra for it. Astigmatism can also be corrected at the time of surgery or later with a limbal relaxing incision and LASIK will help also. For completeness a contact lens worn over the eye after surgery can also correct astigmatism.

JCH MD